When did I fall In Love with Hip Hop?

 




When Did I fall in Love with HIP HOP?

Written by Naomi G.



"When did you fall in Love with Hip Hop?"

That’s one of the main questions from one of my favorite movies of all time, “Brown Sugar”. I watched it again last night for the hundredth time, and it took me back to when I was younger and first heard many of the artist that were featured on that same movie; Common, Method Man, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, Mos Def, Queen Latifah, to name a few.


So, when did I first fall in Love with Hip Hop?

I must have been about 7 years old and living in Ft. Worth with my parents. We moved in with my Aunt Alice and Uncle Mario (RIP), and my older cousins until we found our own spot. It was my cousins Mario, Joe, Paul (RIP), Junior, and Nora who introduced me to a whole new world I knew nothing about.

I was just a little Country Girl from Midkiff, TX, and EVERYRHING in Ft. Worth was new and way different from where I came from. Life was faster, everything was close, and the city was HUGE!! I was used to our neighbors being too far we’d have to take a bike to go visit and being able to sleep with the doors and windows wide open.

In Ft. Worth, my cousins were into Break Dancing, Graffiti, and most importantly they helped me find my newfound LOVE for HIP HOP! Whether we were just hanging out, being babysat, or on car rides with my cousins the countless times we were together, HIP HOP was blaring through the speakers. I was Amazed by the beats, and how they made my Soul feel! From that moment on HIP HOP became a huge part of my life.

I remember my Dad Roberto (RIP) was into Spanish music, and my Mother Cruz loved Country and Rock and Roll. That is where I first came to Love Music, but when I heard HIP HOP and then Rap, it hit me differently. Even being as small as I was, I could feel the music, and imagine the stories the Artists would portray. It literally touched every fiber of my being!

HIP HOP was there when I was sad, happy, mad, or confused. When I had problems that I felt I couldn’t talk about to anyone else, I always had Music to help me through it. When I needed to be uplifted, HIP HOP was there. There were many times I did not want to go on, but HIP HOP helped me ease into another day. When I felt so alone and misunderstood, HIP HOP was by my side and understood me.

THANK YOU HIP HOP for saving me throughout my Life, and keeping me sane! You’ve been there since day one and are still here by my side today!! I LOVE YOU HIP HOP!

I want to know your story, "When did you first fall in Love with Hip Hop?" Email me your stories to

naomigarcia1114@gmail.com 

Much Love & Respect,                                                                                                                           Naomi G.

Be sure to hit the link and check out my work!

https://solo.to/naomig?fbclid=IwAR2pa0qoqC-ogTnJCOx44oLYvi-DWSJMmVZp-Jrsh4uumsyrlVNeHYbBpfo



Comments